Titling a Vehicle

To title and register your new vehicle, the owner must provide proof of residency, or in the case of a commercial vehicle, physical presence. While a bona fide resident or commercial business owner may use a mail service provider (post office box address) to receive incoming mail, they may not use this address as the sole basis for establishing a bona fide residence or physical presence and you will need to submit to your resident county clerk the following:

  • Title
  • Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin
  • The new vehicle’s invoice
  • A copy of your current registration if transferring your license plate

To title and register a used vehicle, submit to your resident county clerk the following:

  • A valid certificate of title properly assigned along with an Odometer Disclosure Statement, if applicable.
  • A copy of the current registration if transferring your license plate.
  • Please note: You will need to provide proof of identification and proof of residency when titling and registering your vehicle.

If your car is financed and titled in one of the following states, you must have your title:

  • Arizona
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Maryland
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • Missouri
  • New York
  • Oklahoma
  • South Dakota
  • Wisconsin

These states are not title holding states; the titles are mailed to the owner rather than the lien holder

Vehicle Plate Renewal

“Customers need to renew in their own county”, (as required by statute T.C.A. 55-4-105e)

Visit the TN County Clerk website to renew your plates.

The price for regular plates is $29/year.

The price for regular personalized or cultural plates is $65/year.

The price for personalized cultural or specialty plates is $99/year.

Would you like a reminder when it’s time to renew your plates? 

Issuing Vehicle Plates

New Vehicle: Purchaser needs to have in their possession (MSO) Manufacturer Statement Origin, completed by dealer and purchaser. Also, need bill of sale stating tax collected and lienholder (if any). If the vehicle is purchased out of state and sales tax is lower than TN, then the difference will be collected at the time of registration.

Used Vehicle: Purchaser should have title in their possession with the buyer and seller’s signature. Odometer is required for vehicles ten years or newer. Tax will be collected at time of registration unless dealer collected tax. Selling price of vehicle has to be 75% of book value. Low selling price will delay the process of issuing title. Form SF1301201 can be used for low selling price of gift. Do not purchase vehicle if seller’s signature does not match the name on the front of the title. If lien appears on front of title, make sure it has been released before purchase. If lien needs to be noted on either new or used, make sure full name and address is properly noted.

Moving to Tennessee: Owner needs title from previous state, or if still paying on vehicle, we need current registration and full name and address of lien holder. Cost of transferring out of state title and to obtain plate and registration is $47.00 with no lien present. If there is a lien on the vehicle, the cost is $58.00.

Replacement of Lost Tennessee Title: Tennessee title is the only title that may be replaced. No out of state titles. To obtain a replacement title, SF0968 has to be completed and signed by registered owner. If owner chooses, he/she can choose to complete SF0968 (POA), which enables someone other than registered owner to obtain replacement title. Replacement title: $18.00.

Noting of Lien: Must be Tennessee title. In order to note lien, form SF0943 has to be completed and signed by registered owner. Must have TN title and a security agreement between the lender and borrower. Noting of lien: $29.00.

Multiple Owners: Only one signature is required on title if registered to two or more and is joined by “OR”. If joined by “AND”, both signatures are required.

Selling of Vehicle: Registered owner of vehicle signs his/her name as signature of seller. Individual obtaining ownership of vehicle signs their name as buyer with complete address. Seller should never sign off of title without completing buyer potion; this is known as an open title. This could result into penalties to seller.

Handicap: Handicapped individual must have form SF0953 completed by physician to obtain plates or placard. If purchasing plate, individual has to be a registered handicap person. Handicap license plates: $29.00. If permanently confined to wheel chair, license plate is free. If handicap individual obtains plates, the placard is free. If no plate is purchased, placard is $26.50, renewable every two years for $3.